Monday, December 29, 2008

Sabang Hotel (XX)

Both test results already came out, and I had to accept the fact that I had failed. Now here I am an unemployed person, hiks…. Practically I had nothing to do, thank God I have a lot of relatives that at least I could count on so I could still survive. I used the situation for visiting my old friends including to Novi’s house, you know the girl I used to have a crush on when I was still in elementary school. I paid a few visits to her house, one night at her house we’re having a chat at the verandah and her father also joined us, we talked about lots of things. Novi’s father asked me about what I was going to do with my future after failing from the test, he gave me some inputs and suggestions about taking short courses like short course on plumbing, I had no idea why on earth he suggested that kind of course, I just nodded, doing that at least he knew that I was listening to him even though that idea didn’t interest me at all.

I was thinking that taking courses about computer might not be a bad idea. So I started gathering information about computer courses. I went to some computer courses to get information regarding the packages and the course fee. What I was looking for was the very basic knowledge about computer such as introduction to computer, DOS system, Word Star, Lotus, D-base, etc. I believed so much that having knowledge in English and computer was very important to be able to compete in the work area. Saying that I had zero knowledge about computer but I felt my English was not very bad after all, well I would say it was considerably okayJ

Reading daily news paper in the morning suddenly became a habit, looking for information about courses as well as job vacancies. But as a high school graduate only wouldn’t give me enough opportunities for at least decent works. My aunt Ulfah’s husband whom I called uncle or om Kusnan was always saying to have other skills, so I wouldn’t be only a high school graduate but a high school graduate plus (SMA+), he was also saying that it was very important to pursue higher education, and added that it was not cheap. I visited My aunt Ulfhah Kusnan family quite frequently, and got my ID (KTP) there too proving that I was a legal citizen of Jl. Anngur Barat III/12 Jakarta Selatan.

I had an experience, there was a job vacancy I read from a news paper, it’s Sabang Hotel, it’s located on Sabang Street Central Jakarta, I didn’t remember the position required, it’s something like helper or assistant in and F&B Dept or Room Division. I was going there wearing sort of formal clothes bringing an application letter with me complete with my high school diploma put in a red folder.

“Good morning sir, I’d like see the personnel manager” I asked a security guard

“ What’s your business?” the security guard asked me back

“ I wanna give this application letter” I said

“Ok go that way on the second floor” replied the security

I went on walking to the direction the security guard told me, and took the steps upstairs to the second floor. The office where I was going to was not in the main hotel building. It’s in an annex building behind the main building. I knocked the door, and somebody opened the door for me.

“How can I help you? Asked the guy

Then I explained my intention to the guy, he then showed me to the person I was looking for, I was asked to be seated. We had some talks and short interview, which was my very first job interview in my entire life. The personnel staff asked me a few questions regarding the position applied, and I tried to give my best answers to every question given to me and was sure I was a bit nervous because I had no clue about the position I was applying, it’s just because my desperation as an unemployed person if I may say so, and I wanted to test myself if I had guts to apply for a job.

“We’re very sorry Arief, the position needs a person with at least two years experience with some degree too” explained the personnel staff to end the conversation.

I tried to smile and said thanks to him, and walked away. ”stupid me, what the hell am I doing daring to apply for a job without having qualifications and experience” blamed myself for doing that. I walked slowly towards the exit while thinking the embarrassment I just had and stupidity I just did.

“Hi man, you want to apply for a job? I can help you” a stranger approached me

“Yes why” I was wondering what this guy was trying to do to me

“Come with me” said the guy

I followed the guy but still wondering what this guy was up to

“I have an inside man who can help you to get the job, but it has to be trough me and we need to give him some money under my recommendation” the guy went on saying

It was like I was hypnotized and I just trusted the stranger that he could really help me to get the job. The word “recommendation” hmmm that’s a new word to me, I might have ever heard the word before but surely I didn’t really know what it’s supposed to mean. I was just guessing that it meant something good to me and I liked the word sounded any way, I really felt I was so naïf then. He asked me how much money I had in my pocket, of course I didn’t have much while showing to the guy all the money I had and proving him that I wasn’t lying and I agreed to give him Rp. 10,000.- and left me with some change for bus fare. I was thinking again and wondering whether this was the way people can get the job by having an inside man and bribing. He took me to the public telephone box and making a call to someone. He was talking to someone from end of line while taking my folder and trying to read my application letter, and mentioning my name and saying that under his recommendation to accept me. He hung up the phone and convinced me that I just wait for further notice, he also kept my folder with my application letter and certificate in it. The stranger left me and I was taking a bus going back home while thinking and hoping I would get a letter from Sabang Hotel informing my employment.

I told my uncle Risjar regarding what had just happened to me, he kept quiet and made me realized that I had just been deceived. That the first lesson I learnt that we don’t easily trust a stranger and we don’t bribe for work.

to be continued...

No comments: